[Solved] Do I need to configure anything ?

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Do I need to configure anything after the setup finishes ? I installed the extension (64 bit) for my 64 bit windows 8.1 install. I still can not see thumbnail previews for SVG files.
I tried changing the thumbnail size, still won't work.
Sep 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM
After a few days it seems to work. This thread can be removed.
Oct 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I just installed and rebooted... but SVG's are still now showing as a thumbnail !?
Nov 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM
After installation, I didn't see the thumbnails at first, after rebooting.

Then, I changed the file association and the thumbnails appeared immediately. Maybe this would work for you, too.
Dec 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM
levis501 - how did you change the file association? I tried associating all svgs with a new application (Sublime Text, Windows Photo Viewer, etc.) but no dice. I also made sure none of my SVGs were "blocked" as windows 10 does when you download from the web. I still don't see the SVG thumbnails rendered. I'm on Win10 64 bit and I'm using the dssee_setup_x64_v011_signed.exe installer and I did wipe the image cache and reboot about 5 times so far. No luck...arggghhhh.
Feb 10, 2016 at 11:04 AM
In case anyone else comes across this, here are the steps I followed (Windows 10 x64):
  1. Install the 64 bit binary.
  2. Open a folder containing an SVG file.
  3. Right click an SVG file and choose "Open with" > "Choose another app".
  4. Choose a different app with which to open SVG files, check the "Always use this app to open .svg files" option and click OK. At this point, the previews started working for me.
  5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 to set your preferred default app for SVG files.
Aug 30, 2016 at 4:31 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2016 at 4:34 AM
@hajamie, thanks for the steps BUT you forgot 1 crucial item. In Step 4, you state:

"Choose a different app with which to open SVG files, check the "Always use this app to open .svg files" option and click OK. At this point, the previews started working for me. "

What you FORGOT to show is what APP are we supposed to select.
When I installed the "SVG Explorer Extension", nothing happened. So, I checked to see my associations and nothing changed nor was there a new APP. I decided to look in the new directory and though there were a few .DLL files, I found no .EXE file. Without the .EXE file, I can't even browse to it to associate with it.

My point is, your instructions are great for the generic method of associating but does not seem to work with the APP your post is associated with.
Aug 31, 2016 at 8:22 PM
@GSpector: The app you select isn't important, it was just the act of switching it which caused the previews to start working. In my case, I changed it from Inkscape to MSPaint or something, and then back again. YMMV.